Windmills & Canals from Amsterdam to Bruges with Backroads
Price: USD 4799 per person
Departure: April 2, 2023
Return: April 7, 2023
Plus additional departures
Photo: Biking Tour Map
The Dutch and Belgians are famous for their love of bikes. And that love of bikes has created an amazing network of bike paths and routes that extend throughout each country. Many of the paths we utilize on this trip are the equivalent of scenic byways, linking quaint villages and big cities alike.
Van shuttles to support a variety of route options. Comprehensive Travel Planner with detailed pre-trip information. Private guided tours at museums, historic sites, wineries and other select attractions as noted in the Travel Planner.
- All breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners
- Expertise and services of our experienced Trip Leaders
- Snacks and beverages between meals
- Additional guides and experts from the region on many trips
- All gratuities at hotels and restaurants
- Special events, including wine tastings and other select attractions as mentioned in the Travel Planner
- On biking and multi-adventure trips, use of fully equipped Backroads titanium bike plus helmet and accessories
- Trailercycles, carriers, and kid-sized helmets for Family Trips
- Equipment and experienced guides for kayaking, rafting, snorkeling, sailing and canoeing as described
- Park and other entry fees
- Fares for trains, ferries and other modes of travel as listed in the Travel Planner
- Select coach transfers
- Baggage transfers and porterage
Begin with a leisurely bike tour from Edam to Santpoort, located on the edge of a lush coastal forest | Pause for lunch at a charming and quintessentially Dutch farmhouse | Bike past emerald-green fields, horse farms and windmills | Rest and relax at our splendid hotel on the edge of Zuid-Kennemerland National Park.
In April and early May, admire the floral designs at Keukenhof, the world’s largest flower garden | A landscape of dunes and seaside lanes lead the way to The Hague | Bike through polders and countryside to Gouda, where the beloved cheese originates | Delight in the World Heritage site of Kinderdijk, known for its 19 windmills once used to drain the surrounding floodplain | Indulge in traditional pannekoeken (pancakes) or a slice of appeltaart topped with Chantilly cream | Biking is a way of life in Holland, and it’s a pleasure to join the locals as you cruise through the region, passing dikes and quaint villages.
Bike over the border to Belgium on a scenic spin to romantic Bruges | Discover the secrets of this medieval city of narrow cobblestone streets, step-gabled brick houses, lofty spires and meandering canals | Thirsty? Try some of the world-renowned local beers | Follow dedicated bike paths to the Flemish town of Diksmuide, once the heart of Belgian resistance in World War I | Enjoy a final bike ride through leafy forests and over canals around Bruges | Visit one of the town’s many chocolate shops for some tasty souvenirs.